FOR ALL PATIENTS
- Please DO NOT smoke for at least 24 hours prior to and 48 hours after your appointment. Nicotine and tar adversely affect normal healing.
- Do not ingest alcoholic beverages for a minimum of 24 hours prior to and 48 hours after your appointment or surgery.
- Go to bed early the evening before your surgical appointment. A well-rested patient is much more comfortable.
- Brush your teeth prior to your appointment, as this will reduce the amount of bacteria and therefore decrease chances of infection.
- Wear comfortable loose fitting clothing. Short sleeves are preferable. Jewelry and valuables should remain at home or put in custody of a responsible party.
- Contact lenses and dentures should be removed prior to the appointment.
- Plan on resting at lease the remainder of the day of your appointment. Depending on the difficulty of your procedure, anywhere from 1-3 days, or more, may be required before healing, eating and soreness are at a stabilized level that will permit you to return to school or work.
FOR PATIENTS WHO WILL BE ASLEEP OR SEDATED
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING FOR SIX (6) HOURS PRIOR TO SURGERY. You may take morning medications with a small sip of water, but otherwise no food or drink six (6) hours leading up to surgery.
- A responsible adult MUST accompany you to your surgery, remain in the office for the duration of your appointment and drive you home. You need to have someone stay with you for at least three (3) hours after you leave this office. DO NOT drive or operate any machinery for the remainder of the day post surgery.